Sunday 27 July 2014

I wish all of you could see my Facebook feed!



I wish all of you could see my Facebook feed. If you did you might wipe that rabid foam from your mouths and put down your flags. This dreadful conflict in Gaza has the wonderful people in my life polarised to the most ridiculous of extremes.
 

All of a sudden everyone is an expert, yet nobody seems to be listening to the people on the streets. Maybe, instead of your instant-miracle solution, or the slightly satirical offering proposed in this week’s Double Vision, or the traditional two state solution, or the one state solution which has support from many sides, we should ask what solution people want, because that might work.

It doesn't matter what I think. It doesn't matter what you think either. All that matters is we start talking and stop waving flags. This week’s ‘Double Vision’ is available in the Galway City Tribune and the Connacht Tribune, but it won’t be appearing here. 


You’re all too crazy right now. Yes you are, when you consider that this one piece of writing will upset people on both sides of this process. I don’t need to be falling out with people.

There’s enough conflict. My scribbling on this subject has brought me grief of a profound kind in the past. With so many of those whom I love holding such contrasting opinions, I need to protect myself from heartbreak.

When this conflict eases many of you will follow other news stories, but for me, even as a secular Jew, the Middle East forms part of the fabric of my life.

The Six Day War in 1967 is one of my earliest childhood memories. I was only 7, far too young to understand what was happening, yet right now I can serve up mental images of men sitting in groups in our living room, talking in hushed tones. I knew something serious was happening, sufficient to imprint it upon my brain.

Similarly I can completely recall six years later, my brother coming down the stairs on Yom Kippur, announcing to us that Syria and Egypt had invaded Israel's North and South, on the holiest day of the year.

For once, as it is for Muslims, so it is for Jews: this story doesn’t go away for any of us; it lives with us always. We are characters trapped in the worst of books and this present conflict is a dreadful and tragic chapter.

I just wish less people were flag-waving and more listening was going on.
 

We need to be talking about a lasting peace.


(Normal online colyoomistic service resumes next week)


2 comments:

Dave Ramseyer said...

My friend, you are so right. This tragedy in the Middle-East is sad enough without it spilling out to divide close friends and set them against one another.

If we cannot find peace amongst ourselves and those we love what hope is there?

Charlie Adley said...

So true my friend. Thanks for your feedback. Sad times indeed.